Dr. Peter Ballerstedt (@GrassBased) has been a huge influence on many minds and myself personally when it comes to meat sustainability. He uses his expertise in Agronomy to offer an interesting counter argument to the claim that ruminant agriculture is destroying the environment. Peter has an extensive background in forage production, utilization and forage-based livestock production systems and was the forage extension specialist at Oregon State University from 1986 until 1992. Peter's personal experience has led him to re-examine human diet and health.
Peter and I discuss:
- Problems with how the general public gets their information today around sustainability
- Common metrics about sustainability and problems with them
- Lifecycle assessments
- The true impact of US cattle on the environment
- Problems with lab grown "food-like-items"
- Why food going to cattle is less relevant and low quality vs. high quality food
- Grass-fed beef myths
- Monocropping and land use
- And much more!
Where to find Peter:
What questions would you like answered or who would you like to hear from in the carnivore or research community?